• Easy to read -- intuitive layout that makes it simple to find information
• Attractive -- I like color, but not too much color, and it needs to look okay in grayscale
• Simple -- not a lot of extra data, and clean layout with lots of white space
• One page -- Landscape format seems to work great for new players
• A place for a picture -- for some reason I like to have an image of the character, even if it's just a close approximation. This is remarkably rare in character sheets these days!
• Generic -- easily applicable to most settings
Unable to find anything that met all these needs, I made my own. The original file was made in OpenOffice, but here is a PDF of it. Sadly, I don't have the tools or knowhow to make it form-fillable. If someone out there knows how, please feel free and send it back to me!